Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I Wish I Were a Perfect Mom

Recently my 14-year old son and I were watching an old Cosby show featuring Rudy Huxtable manipulating her father into granting permission to wear a dress that her mother had already said she could not wear. My son pointed out that Mrs. Huxtable displayed great control and talked to Rudy in a very normal low-key voice as she expressed her disappointment and dismay that Rudy had tried to disobey and wear a summer dress in the winter. My son said he wanted a "Cosby Mom."

Of course I shot back, "And I'd love to have a Cosby-like child." We both laughed and then I asked, "What exactly do you like about mother Huxtable?" He explained he liked that the mother didn't yell at the child for disobeying and that the incident was quickly resolved. So, you can surmise from my son's comment that there may have been a time or two that I raised my voice when I found out about an "undesirable behavior" by one of my children.

I wanted to, but didn't, point out to my son that Rudy displayed great remorse, apologized and promised not to disobey mommy again, which rarely happens in my household. I didn't point out Rudy's response because I felt bad that I wasn't perfect like Clair Huxtable. I wish I were.

I wish I could always control my temper when dealing with a disobedient child, always protect their self-esteem, always keep them from harm or danger, always buy the clothes/shoes/accessories for my kids that are "in style" and fit, always have a delicious meal on the table when my kids are hungry, always have enough money to buy the latest game/gadget/gift for my kids, always arrive home from work early, always know the right thing to say when they are hurting, always assess the right level of punishment for a child's infraction, always be energetic and ready to drive my child to practice, the swimming pool, play practice or wherever and I wish that I could ensure my kids always always know my love for them is unconditional -- no matter what, I will always love them.

Since I am human, and therefore can never be perfect, I will have to settle for being a mom who intensely loves her kids and is doing the best that she knows how to do, but acknowledges, she can always do better.

Which means, perhaps, that I am a pretty good mom afterall! So maybe I should get my own TV show?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I hear you on the mom stuff. I always thought i'd never lose my temper with my darling boy ever...and funny, already at the age of 2 ...

    So, I used to watch Cosby's and complain to my parents that our family wasn't like them and should be. I'm sure it killed my mom b/c she knew the truth. How much damage did this show do to American families???? I bet they never go to the bathroom, either.

    ReplyDelete