Saturday, January 3, 2009

Should Bill Gates be on the Bus?

I am wondering if the right "experts" are going to work on fixing our educational system in 2009. I just read a Newsweek article by Jonathan Alter titled "Bill Gates Goes to School." A take away for most readers will be that Bill Gates is an expert on what it will take for successful education reform. I am not yet convinced of his expertise or skills as they relate to education. Alter writes: "Word is, Obama may even ask Gates to serve on a new high-level educational-advisory panel he's noodling . . ."

I admit that I tend to be a bit cynical of those who heap blame on teachers and teachers' unions for the problems facing our educational system and who suggest that mayoral control of school systems is a good thing. I have seen what happens when a mayor sticks his nose in the business of educating our boys and girls and I believe that was a dismal failure by any measuring stick. Furthermore, while I would never argue that every teacher is a good one, I am very confident that teachers' unions are not the reason that our school systems are currently struggling.

I appreciate the funding that Mr. and Mrs. Gates have directed toward improving education. I just wonder if he holds the right qualifications to be on the bus that will take us to a better educational system.

No comments:

Post a Comment